I’m a data visualization journalist and designer based in Chicago. I work at the Chicago Tribune, where I report and produce visual journalism.
Proficient in data visualization best practices, research, reporting, graphic design principles and typography.
- Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
- HTML and CSS (including SASS)
- Geographic information systems (QGIS and ArcGIS)
- Data analysis with Microsoft Excel
Chicago Tribune, data visualization journalist
(March 2012 to present)
- Produce charts, maps, motion graphics and other visualizations. These pieces are often done under tight deadlines and developed as mobile- and web-first experiences.
- Analyze and research data using spreadsheets and geographic information systems to identify trends and storylines in the data.
- Serve as the primary point of contact between the department and the metro and breaking news editors, leading the team in coordinating visualizations for those subject areas.
- Work in a collaborative environment with reporters, designers, developers, photographers and videographers.
The Florida Times-Union and Jacksonville.com, graphic artist
(May 2009 to March 2012)
- Produced charts, maps and other graphics for the web and printed newspaper. Conceived and produced illustrations for entertainment, sports and special section covers.
- Created interactive Flash graphics for Jacksonville.com
- Helped revamp graphics styles and templates for a 2011 newspaper redesign.
- 2016 Illinois Press Assocation awards – Third place, informational graphic
- 2012 Society for News Design Award of Excellence
- 2011 Florida Press Club – Third place, artist illustration
- 2010 Florida Press Club – First place, artist illustration