I’m a data visualization professional, designer and journalist based in Chicago. Follow me on Twitter for my latest work.
Proficient in data visualization best practices, graphic design principles and interactive design.
- Adobe Creative Suite
- HTML and CSS
- Geographic information systems (QGIS and ArcGIS)
- Microsoft Excel
Chicago Tribune, data visualization journalist
(March 2012 to present)
Produce charts, maps, interactive graphics and other visualizations where emphasis is placed on clear and concise communication.
Design and develop special web presentations for important watchdog and news stories for chicagotribune.com.
Research and analyze data using spreadsheets and geographic information systems, identifying storylines in the data and translating them into engaging visuals.
Serve as the primary point of contact between the data visualization department and the metro/breaking news department, leading my team in brainstorming and coordinating visualizations for those subject areas.
Work in a collaborative environment with reporters, designers, developers, editors, photographers and videographers.
The Florida Times-Union and Jacksonville.com, graphic artist
(May 2009 to March 2012)
- Produced charts, maps and other graphics for the web and printed newspaper. Conceived and produced illustrations for entertainment, sports and special section covers.
- 2018 Outstanding Young Alumnus – Ball State University Department of Journalism
- 2016 Illinois Press Association – Third place, informational graphic
- 2012 Society for News Design Award of Excellence
Investigative Reporters & Editors