Proficient in data visualization best practices, research, graphic design principles, interactive design and typography.
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Web design (HTML and CSS)
- Geographic information systems (QGIS and ArcGIS)
Chicago Tribune, data visualization journalist
(March 2012 to present)
Produce charts, maps, interactive graphics and other visualizations where emphasis is placed on clear and concise communication.
Research and analyze data using spreadsheets and geographic information systems, identifying storylines in the data and translating them into engaging visuals.
Serve as the primary point of contact between the data visualization department and the metro/breaking news department, leading my team in brainstorming and coordinating visualizations for those subject areas.
Work in a collaborative environment with reporters, designers, developers, editors, photographers and videographers.
The Florida Times-Union and Jacksonville.com, graphic artist
(May 2009 to March 2012)
- Produced charts, maps and other graphics for the web and printed newspaper. Conceived and produced illustrations for entertainment, sports and special section covers.
- Helped revamp graphics styles and templates for a 2011 newspaper redesign.
- 2018 Outstanding Young Alumnus – Ball State University Department of Journalism
- 2016 Illinois Press Association awards – Third place, informational graphic
- 2012 Society for News Design Award of Excellence
- 2011 Florida Press Club – Third place, artist illustration
- 2010 Florida Press Club – First place, artist illustration